South western style beef chili
Time 1h 40m
- 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 14 oz pomodoro pelato di Napoli (Naples peeled plump tomatoes)
- 12 oz tomato passata (pureed tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Grated cheddar cheese, for Topping (when serving)
Heat olive oil in a deep pot on a high heat. Add chopped onions and sauté till golden, add garlic, turn heat to medium and sauté 30 seconds more.
Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally until beef has browned. Stir in the peeled tomatoes, tomato passata, beef broth, and all dry seasonings. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cook on a low heat, stirring occasionally for approximately for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Add the grated cheddar cheese to taste on serving.